Saturday, April 29, 2006

Oh, yeah...this needs a title

Wow. April 29, and it's already roasting here. It's up in the 80's, which, if you were in the 60's just last week, is hot. The weather changes so fast here it's like...like...I dunno, an Amtrak.
So, due to it's being so hot, we turned on the air conditioning. Funny, I'd forgotten about that little feature. Anyway, we turned on the AC, and I suppose that when it's on it gives off a smell, a very faint one, so that it's not so much a smell as some intangible sensation, if you know what I mean. I started detecting this smell shortly after the AC went on about an hour ago, when I was doing homework. I was listening to Coldplay at the time, and consequently was already in a state of groovy nirvana fit to put my younger brothers to sleep. No, I was not on any chemicals; music my drug of choice, thanks.
So this smell comes drifting into my room, and suddenly I'm barraged with images from last summer, when we were brand-new into this house. That summer, because it had so much change in it, has already been branded thoroughly on my brain, so the ensuing fit of nostalgia was...rather strong. Not that I was reduced to tears, it's just that that smell gave me such an amazing sense of last summer.
This actually happens to me all the time (but I have no idea if it's something that happens to most people as much). Certain smells and music tend to "bring me back" to certain places and times, which I know happens to most people, but I think I may be blessed with an extreme case of it. Many of the CDs in my room remind me of something when I listen to them, and deja-vu from my nose is fairly common, too. I guess that may sound slightly creepy, but it's actually enjoyable. It may even be called a guilty pleasure, considering that we should be living in the present. But the year that is now almost behind me was so unique that I almost can't help it.
Ah, the glory of summer.
* * * * * * *
Oh, and I figure I'd better mention this:
For the past month or so, I and three of my siblings have been rehearsing in a production of Aladdin (yes, the Disney one). Unfortunately, due to some unfairness, we needed to perform the "Junior" version, which meant two things:
1): No one under 18 was able to audition, which didn't affect me, but prevented some prominent talents from lending their skill
2): The script was significantly pared down and adapted; it's only about an hour long in itself.
However...
We found ourselves with a fantastic team of directors, including the incomperable Lisa Pixler and Janice McIntyre. Lisa, as "the" director, really knew her stuff, and on top of that has great special-effects savvy. Janice has spent much of her career as an artist, and gave us one of the biggest, most beautiful sets we've ever had. Susanne Burroughs gave us choreography that was simple but looked great, and Debbi Teague kept us on top of our harmonies, among many other things. So, consequently, what could have easily been a short, rather trite show instead opened to a full house last night, a house filled with one of the best, most responsive audiences I've personally ever performed for, looking and sounding great, and getting a screaming standing ovation at the end. Oh, man, was it glorious.
I love theater.